1. "Hypertension: The Silent Killer: What you need to know" will be presented at 1 p.m. at the Beech Street Center. Michelle Caron, RNC MSN, legal and forensic nurse consultant, will review aspects of this silent disease, how to control hypertension and encourage participants to ask questions. Light refreshments will be served.
2. Moms & Caregivers Summer Group at the Benton Library, an informal group for those caring for pre-schoolers, will be held at the Benton at 10:30 a.m. Books and toys are available for your children. Newcomers are welcome.
3. Cushing Village, the largest proposed development in Belmont for many years, will come before the Belmont Planning Board for another round of review at 7 p.m. at Town Hall.
4. Drop-in yoga classes, taught by professional instructors in the Vinyasa style – flowing with the breath – will be held in Gardner Hall (enter via Alexander Street) of the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St., beginning at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Bring your own mat. Childcare is available for $6 per child with a $12 family maximum. There is also free parking on Pleasant and Leonard streets and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit the Plymouth Nursery School.
5. On this day in 1925, in Dayton, Tenn., the so-called "Monkey Trial" begins with John T. Scopes, a young high school science teacher accused of teaching evolution in violation of state law.