1. Today is Flag Day, commemorating the adoption of the flag of the United States, which happened this day 235 years ago by resolution of the Second Continental Congress in 1777. It's also the anniversary of the founding of the U.S. Army when the Continental Congress in 1775 authorized the enlistment of riflemen to serve the United Colonies.
2. It's official: It's the last day of school for Belmont's public schools! And it's an early release day to boot!
• Burbank, Butler, Wellington elementary : 11:40 a.m.
• Winn Brook: 11:50 a.m.
• Chenery Middle School: 11 a.m.
• Belmont High School: 10:30 a.m.
See you back at school on opening day, Wednesday, Sept. 5 – which is, of course, a half day.
3. It's the first day of the . The fun starts at 12:30 p.m. in the Claflin Street parking lot behind Macy's in Belmont Center. It's bigger and better then ever.
4. I would have killed for this opportunity when I was a teen: The is holding a training session for book shelvers from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Young Adults room. One of the most important tasks in any library, shelving is a great summer volunteer opportunity with flexible scheduling. Go online to sign up or just come by.
5. Drop-in Vinyasa-style yoga classes, taught by professional instructors, will be held this evening at 7 p.m. at the, 582 Pleasant St. All levels welcome. Please bring your own mat. Free parking on Pleasant, Leonard, and in the Claflin Street Parking Lot behind Belmont Center. The positioning will take place in Gardner Hall, at the back of the church – enter the hall from Alexander Street entrance. $10 for the session. All proceeds benefit Plymouth Nursery School.