1. Only four market days left in the Belmont Farmers Market season! Today, Nutting Farm (maple products), Coutt's Specialty Foods (jams/jellies), Japonaise Bakery, Well Fed Dog and Dan's Brick Oven Bread will join the weekly vendors in the parking lot behind Macy's in Belmont Center. Suzanne Johannet, the Market Manager, will talk about freezing, drying, fermenting and storing food at 3:30 p.m. She will demonstrate techniques for preserving the market to enjoy all year long.
2. Infant Lapsit Storytime, for infants and pre-walkers, takes place at 10:30 a.m. in the Flett Room across from the Children's Room at the Belmont Public Library. Enjoy songs, finger plays, and rhymes chosen especially for our littlest readers.
3. Three levels of English as a Second Language (ESL) classes - beginners, intermediate, and advanced - starts today and will continue on Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Beech Street Center. Cost is $50 first term, $35 second term.
This joins two other, free classes: Chinese English classes every Tuesday at 10 a.m., and a conversation class on Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. sponsored by English at Large. Call 781-395-2374 to see if you are at an intermediate level, or just come in to speak with the teacher.
4. Belmont High School Boys' Soccer will attempt to start a new unbeaten streak today at 3:35 p.m. as they host Melrose High in a match at Harris Field. And because it's a day game, it's free.
5. On this day in 1957, "Leave It To Beaver" premieres on CBS.