Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the new feature in the comments section.
1. Today starts the scheduled closing of upper Concord Avenue from Pleasant to Mill streets as the roadway is repaved for the second time in a year. Expect work from around 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Contractors are also performing finishing work – installing concrete curbs and manhole covers – on Oakley Road from Belmont to Washington streets and School Street. And there is more work on Goden Street and Creeley Road.
2. For all you parents with young school musicians, tonight is Elementary Instrumental Music Information Night at the at 7 p.m.
3. Attention students and parents: It's Back to School Night at the school on White Street. The get together begins at 7:30 p.m. Say hello to Principal McAllister and ask about the proposed new playground.
4. It is due Nov. 1, but the town has mailed out your second quarter Real Estate and Personal Property Tax Bills so you can expect it in your mail this week. The town will allow you to save on the cost of a first-class stamp by making the payments online.
• First time users click here to register.
• Returning users click here to pay town bills online.
5. On this day in 1961, on Route 3 just outside Lancaster, NH, Betty and Barney Hill claim that they saw a mysterious craft in the sky and that they were probably abduct by aliens.