1. It's Market Day in Belmont as the town's Farmers Market is open from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the parking lot behind Macy's in Belmont Center.
This day, the Market organizers are collecting for the Belmont Food Pantry. Most needed are non-perishable items, such as baking supplies, canned fish, canned fruit, cereal, coffee/tea, jelly, juice, toiletries, tomato sauce, pasta, peanut butter, potatoes and rice. Please consider picking up a few extra items to bring to the Farmers' Market manager's tent for donation to our neighbors.
Westport Rivers Vineyard and Winery, Turkey Brook Farm, Pat-O's Pickles, Japonaise Bakery, Well Fed Dog and Dan's Brick Oven Bread will be joining the regular vendors.
Singer-songwriter Dan Glenn will be performing from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Glenn was in the Jazz Ensemble when he was at Belmont High School, and started playing guitar and writing songs while at Boston College. He's working on his second album.
2. The Wellington Elementary School Picnic will take place from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. across School Street in Underwood Park. Bring your blanket, ball and dinner or buy dinner there! It is a great time had by all.
3. Book discussion group for grades 5 and 6 has returned from summer vacation. The group for students in the Lower School of Chenery Middle School will meet in the Flett Room from 3:15 p.m. to 4 p.m.
4. The Rotary Club of Belmont will be staffing a table at the Beech Street Center from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Rotary is a local civic organization that has been in existence for more than 75 years, raising money for local scholarships and supports many needed services in town as well as international projects, such as the campaign to eradicate polio. The club sponsors community events.
5. There is no excuse not to see the Belmont High School Field Hockey team – ranked 14th in the state – in action today: the game is under the lights at Harris Field on Concord Avenue beginning at 6 p.m. And it should be a good game as the team, whose only losses have been to last year's two state champions, will take on a strong Winchester team.