1. Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement, begins at sunset tonight (6:35 p.m.) and will last until tomorrow at nightfall.
2. Belmont's Benton Library Pre-School Story Time is back (!) beginning at 10:30 a.m. For children ages 2 1/2 to 5, this event features stories, word plays, and other activities. Siblings are welcome; parents or caretakers must be in attendance throughout the session. Registration is not required.
3. Story times for children ages 2 and 3, in which songs and movement are part of the story time experience, will take place for early risers at 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. and then again from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Held across the hallway from the Children's Room in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library. For children aged four to five, Story craft for 4's and 5's will begin with a story followed by a simple craft. The storytelling will take place in the Flett Room across from the Children's Room from 3:15 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
4. Drop-in yoga classes, taught by professional instructors in the Vinyasa style – flowing with the breath – will be held in Gardner Hall (enter via Alexander Street) of the Plymouth Congregational Church, 582 Pleasant St., beginning at 9:15 a.m. All levels welcome. Bring your own mat. Childcare is available for $6 per child with a $12 family maximum. There is also free parking on Pleasant and Leonard streets and behind Macy's. All proceeds benefit the Plymouth Nursery School.
5. Here's a head's up: Everyone is welcome to the second annual Arlington-Belmont Crew Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser on Saturday, Sept. 29. Pancakes and rowing? Sounds good to me.