1. Today is the first day of the new school year! Unlike previous years, all schools – with the exception of kindergarteners who will stay home one more day – are in session for half a day.
• Burbank, Butler and Wellington schools: 8:40 a.m. to 11:40 a.m.
• Winn Brook School: 8:50 a.m. to 11:50 a.m.
• Chenery Middle School: 7:55 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Belmont High School: 7:35 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Parents are rejoicing and students are counting the days until the last day of classes in June.
2. “Get the most out of your digital camera,” or “Photoshop Elements for Digital Photos” will be held on Wednesdays by appointment, with instructor David Ching at the Beech Street Center. Call 617-993-2970 for an appointment for either of these tutorials.
3. The Benton Library Book Group is getting together this afternoon from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. to discuss “The Widowers Tale” by Julia Glass. Newcomers are welcome even if they haven’t read the book. The group meets on the first Wednesday of every month.
4. The final repairs continue – adding curbing and final work – on Goden Street from Washington and School streets. When it is complete, you'll be able to drive from Trapelo to Concord on new roads.
5. On this day 40 years ago in 1972, a Palestinian terrorist group called "Black September" attack and take hostage 11 Israel athletes at the Munich Olympic Games. Two died in the attack and nine died the following day.