Where there is far away fire ...
May 15 – At 1:20 p.m., Engine 1 and command car 3 responded to a house on Falmouth Street to investigate the outside odor of smoke. On arrival it was discovered that the odor was strong throughout neighborhood. Fire Alarm office soon advised that the City of Cambridge and Somerville were receiving similar calls. It turned out that the smoke was coming from a fire in Saugus.
Stranded by a stall
May 15 – At 2:18 p.m., Engine 1, Ladder 1, Rescue 1 and C-3 responded to a Lexington Street multifamily for a stalled elevator with a person inside. On arrival it was discovered that the outer elevator door was off the track and not allowing the door to open. The elevator was shut down and the door opened by fire personnel. The person inside did not need any medical attention. The elevator was left shut down and secured. The property manager was on scene and was to handle notification of the service technician for repair.
Gas warning 1
May 16 – At 8:06 p.m., Engine 1, and C3 were dispatched to a Hawthorne Street address to investigate the carbon monoxide detector going off. Upon arrival, Engine 1 reported 10 parts-per- million displayed by equipment on the first floor in the kitchen and hallway. Engine 1 evacuated the residents and the commander requested a response by the gas company to the scene. The CGI displayed normal readings on the second floor and the basement level. The first floor was ventilated and National Grid arrived on scene. After the venting, CO levels returned to normal. The incident was determined to come from the first floor stove. Landlord on scene advised by command to have the stove checked by a qualified service technician.
While on the scene, firefighters observed scorch marks and a burnt knob were noted on the burner unit in the basement. The landlord stated that he had trouble with the unit about three years ago. The commander red tagged the burner and informed the landlord of the red tag process and to have the unit checked by a qualified technician.
May 17 –At 3:35 p.m., units were dispatched to a Dalton Road residence where they found that water had overflowed out of a first floor toilet causing the water to get into a smoke detector in the basement. Command car 3 disconnected an old low voltage fire alarm system. There is no smoke or CO detection in the building at this time. The homeowner was elderly and confused about the situation. The commander at the scene made a phone call and e-mailed the town's Council on Aging regarding assistance that they may be able to provide the elderly homeowner.
Gas warning 2
May 19 – At 6:35 p.m., units were dispatched to Church Street for what turned out to be a gas leak. This has been an ongoing issue and the gas company is aware of it. Gas is leaking through a hand hole on the sidewalk of the bridge.
Gas warning 3
May 19 – At 10:18 a.m., police were dispatched to Hittinger Street for a gas leak. On arrival Engine 1 found a gas supply line had been ruptured in the driveway of a neighbors. National Grid responded and stopped the leak. Area buildings were monitored by National Grid and negative readings recorded.
May 20 – At 9:08 a.m., all companies were dispatched to the temporary location of the Wellington Elementary School at 201 Concord Ave. to investigate the fire alarm system activation. The incident was determined to be a sprinkler activation, but no fire; the sprinklers going off was unintentional by the school electrician. The electrician said he reset the alarm system prior to fire personnel arriving. Command informed him not to reset the system in the future. Note: The sprinkler system was missing a service tag. Command informed the school principal and requested that the head custodian or the electrician notify the sprinkler company and have a service technician check the system.
Gas warning 4
May 20 – At 11:15 a.m., Engine 2 and commanders car 3 were dispatched to Locust and School streets to investigate the outside odor of natural gas. A faint odor of natural gas could be detected in the air. Command requested a response by the gas company. Gas reading equipment displayed normal readings inside and outside of the homes in the immediate area.