Remember when a holiday was just that, when everyone took the day of to celebrate? It appears that way of thinking has gone the way of newspapers and turtle necks as utterly old fashion.
With Thanksgiving becoming essentially a half-day holiday for most larger retailers and chains, it shouldn't shock you that many stores are open, albeit a bit later in the morning for some.
• Town, state and federal offices will be closed today as are both post offices in Belmont.
• Starbucks, at 47 Leonard St. and 112 Trapelo Rd. will both be opening a bit later than usual at 7 a.m. rather than 5 a.m. and closing a little early at 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. COFFEE!!!
• Dunkin' Donuts, at 353 Trapelo Rd. and 52 Church St. will be opening at 5 a.m. MORE COFFEE!!!
• CVS Pharmacy at 264 Trapelo Rd. and 60 Leonard St. are open regular hours (7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Trapelo and 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the Center) while the pharmacies will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. for any remedies associated to the night before.
• Shaw's Supermarket at 535 Trapelo Rd. will be opening an hour early at 6 a.m. but closing an hour early also at 9 p.m. The pharmacy will be open at 8 a.m.
• Macy's at 75 Leonard St. in Belmont Center will be open regular hours from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. if you are seeking a new "look" in '13.
• Ohlin's Bakery, 456 Common St. Open daily at 6 a.m. They were open on Thanksgiving and Christmas so even though I couldn't get through to them and their Facebook doesn't have any indication they are open, go by and see.