No fire, no water at Town Hall
Dec. 9 – Just after half past 6 a.m., the entire Belmont Fire Department all companies were dispatched to Belmont Town Hall after the alarm system indicated a fire in the building. Engine 2 and Ladder 1 arrived on scene and soon the crew from Ladder 1 reported that the alarm system suggested that water was flowing into Room 119. Luckily there was no water in the pipe so the sprinklers were not activated due to a malfunction. The system was red tagged for not providing the service it was designed to do. The town's building representative arrived on scene and he will notify the alarm and sprinkler company to respond and await their arrival.
Another gas attack on Church
Dec. 10 – A quarter to 11 a.m., firefighters arrived at a location on Church Street for a strong smell of natural gas outside. This is an ongoing problem at this location.
Cooked too well
Dec. 10 – At just before 5 p.m. on Trapelo Road and then just before 9:30 p.m. at Wilson Avenue, firefighters arrived at a pair of homes where they found that someone left food far too long on the stove allowing the meals to be carbonized due to the fires that occurred.
Burning dinner ... again
Dec. 12 – A minutes after 7 p.m., Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were sent to a multifamily building on Wilson Avenue for a fire alarm going off. The crew from Engine 1 discovered the cause for the alarm in the second floor unit: smoke from cooking. The fire alarm system was reset and all companies were back in service.
Running on empty
Dec. 14 – At 8:11 a.m., the entire Belmont Fire Department were sent to a two-family on Warwick Road for the report of smoke coming from the basement. When they arrived, the crews heard all the alarms going off. It turns out that the steam boiler had evaporated all the water that produces heat and was dangerously overheated. Firefighters shut down the heating system and red tagged the equipment.