Baby left in car during heatwave
June 2 – Just before 2:30 p.m., with temperatures reaching into the low 90s, the crew from Engine 1 was dispatched to a Belmont Street location for a reported baby locked in a car. The mom said she accidentally locked her child in her vehicle with her keys for approximately 10 to 15 minutes prior to its arrival. The crew immediately gained access to the vehicle and the mother was reunited with her son. Thankfully, the temperature inside of the vehicle was not overly hot and the child was conscious and while crying, he was sweating (which is good), cool to the touch and pink in color. After several minutes in mother's arms, the baby appeared to be comforted and aware of his surroundings. While the mother did not request any further assistance, the crew did informed her to keep a close eye on her child for any changes in his condition and to contact the BFD or 911 if she needed any further assistance. Note: On average, nearly 40 children in the US die each year after being left, half accidentally, in overheated cars during the summer.
Can you check please?
June 6 – At 8:11 p.m., Engine 1 was sent to a Maple Terrace multifamily after the resident called the fire department to check to see if she left her iron on. After ringing the bell just to make sure no one was home, the fire alarm company told fire personnel where the "hidden" key could be found. Once inside, the fire crew did see an iron on the ironing board but it was been turned off and unplugged.
Let Firefigher Cat deal with this
June 6 – Just after a quarter past 4 p.m., crews were sent to a Francis Street residence for "an emergency": a bird was stuck in the heating system. It was rescued though the basement.
Gas on the street
June 8 – At a quarter 'til 9 p.m., fire personnel was sent to a location on Choate Road where a gas line was leaking a bit. The national gas company came along.