Belmont Fire Log: CO Detector Too Old To Do The Job

Incidents and emergencies handled by the Belmont Fire Department.

Gas on the street

Jan. 29 – Fire personnel arrived on a location on Horace Road a quarter past 1 p.m. for a gas leak on the street. National Grid arrived to fix the problem.

Out of date

Jan. 29 – A homeowner on Harvard Drive called Belmont Fire at 3:37 p.m. after the alarm of a new carbon monoxide detector began going off. The crew from Engine 1 could not find any elevated levels of gas. Further investigation discovered that the CO detector was manufactured in 2005 and past its effective date. The homeowner was told to purchase a new CO detector but make sure the unit is not more than half-a-decade old.

Who doesn't love the "Big Easy"?

Jan. 30 – At a quarter past 3 p.m. (that is 15:15 using the 24-hour clock), Engine 1 was sent to a driveway on Francis Street: a tyke was stuck inside a locked car and the key was inside also. The crew used its "Big Easy" lock-out kit to open the front passenger door to free the toddler. 

Transforming a neighborhood's sleep patterns

Jan 31 – It was in the dark of the morning, a little by half past 5 a.m. when the folks around Palfrey Road were startled from their sleep by a loud explosion: a transformer located up an utility pole had exploded. Turns out that a fuse blew in the unit. And then the wires began sparking and arcing. The Belmont Municipal Light Department was called and the fire department stood by until a line crew arrived. 

Tree, meet house

Jan 31 – About 45 minutes after being called to the transformer explosion, fire crews were sent to Pequosette Road after a tree fell onto the roof of a nearby house due to the stormy weather passing through town. The Engine 2 crew climbed into the attic with buckets to catch the rain. The town's building inspector showed up soon afterwards. 

Where there's smoke, there's control

Feb. 1 – All of Belmont Fire's companies – both engines, the ladder, ambulance and command cars – raced over to a two-family at Creeley Road at Winslow Road. after calls came into fire dispatch by residents reporting excessive smoke coming from the house. When the crews arrived, sure enough, a lot of smoke was coming out of the main chimney raising the firefighter's concern. Knocking on the door, Engine 1 investigated and found the homeowner had started "a controlled fire in the fireplace."


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »