Dec. 1 – Six minutes after 2 p.m., the entire company of Belmont Fire was sent to a Common Street residence for a report of smoke inside the house. The Engine 2 crew investigated and found an extinguished fire in the fire place that was creating a bit of smoke. Turns out the flue in the chimney was not working correctly. The homeowner was advised to have chimney serviced prior to using it again. It likely this will not be the only flue incident before Christmas.
Vehicle fire destroys garage on Hillside
Dec. 1 – Just before half past 2 p.m., the fire apparatus on Common Street where sent rushing to Hillside Terrace for a report that a vehicle was on fire inside a garage. When crews arrived they found the vehicle fully involved in heavy flames inside the detached garage. Engine 1 and Rescue 1 got their hoses to the front of the building, Engine 2 established a feeder line to Engine 1 from a hydrant on the street while Ladder 1 positioned ladders for vertical ventilation. The fire was quickly extinguished and the companies checked for any extension of the blaze. An investigation on the cause has begin. Companies from Cambridge and Arlington gave local aid by filling in for the working Belmont crews.
Dec. 3 – At a quarter to 9 a.m., Engine 1 was sent across the street to the VFW Hall on Trapelo Road to investigate reports of natural gas inside the building. At 08:46:07 companies arrived on scene. The location is a club and school. Upon arrival, C3 assumed command of the incident and companies investigated. Crews found a slight odor of gas in the first floor hallway so the gas company was called. Soon afterwards, the landlord's representative said the source of the odor was likely coming from the stove in the basement, noting that the utility was serviced earlier in the morning and the gas connection was then shut off. The property manager was informed to have the system and stove checked.
Steam masquerading as smoke
Dec. 3 – Just a few minutes before 10 a.m., Engine 1 was sent to the six-story apartment building on Trapelo Road in Cushing Square for a report of smoke in the building. Not for the first time that a resident mistook steam venting from the building as smoke.
Locked out on Moraine
Dec. 3 – At a quarter to 5 p.m., a Moraine Street homeowner called the fire department; they locked themselves out of their home. After Belmont Police verified the home owners name and address, fire crews were able to take a screen off and open a unlocked window.
How to address an old stove
Dec. 4 – At a quarter to 4 p.m., a landlord living in California asked firefighters to inspect his Elm Street unit for a reported gas leak. He told the crews were to find a key to the house but it turned out the key was located in the garage but the door was deabolted from the inside so companies could not gain entry. So a ladder was placed to a porch and firefighters forced in a window, doing a bit of damage to the lock. Once inside, they did smell a slight gassy odor on the second floor that appeared to be coming from a very old gas stove. Companies could not locate a shut off valve and the stove could not be moved from its location. So firefighters shut off the gas to the entire second floor unit. Later the tenant and landlord was advised to call an appliance repair person to address the stove. ("Hello, stove.")Gassy Dryer
Dec. 7 – Two minutes before 11 a.m., Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were sent to a Beech Street two-family to investigate the inside odor of natural gas. Once there, the occupant reported smelling gas in her basement early in the morning, believing it was coming from her gas dryer which firefighters promptly shut down. She stated that she will contact a licensed professional regarding her dryer as well as the gas service and notify the property owner.