Not odd (or is that even) that this unwatched pot boil over Aug. 6 – A quarter past 9 a.m., Engine 2 was sent to a Somerset Street house to investigate a fire alarm going off. The crew did detect a "burning odor" at the home which was unoccupied at the time. The Belmont Police contacted the homeowner who rushing back to open the door and let everyone in. Turns out that "someone" left her breakfast on the stove: the homeowner admitted to leaving a pot of food on
the stovetop and forget to shut the burner prior to leaving her home.
And in an interesting aside, turns out that the homeowner's address is an odd number but the house is located on
the even side of the street.
BTW: You can prevent a pot's contents from boiling over by placing a wooden (not plastic!) spoon across the top of the pot. Why? I haven't a clue but it does work.
They need Bobby Flay instead of Belmont FD Aug. 6 – Just after 3 p.m., fire crews took off to see why all that smoke was coming from a backyard on Stewart Terrace. The only thing they found was food in danger of being overcooked by someone using a tar kettle to barbecue.
Careful with those butts Aug. 7 – Just after 5 p.m., the Engine 1 crew didn't have to travel far to respond to an outdoor fire at CVS on Trapelo Road. The blaze was on the plastic public bench in the front of store. In fact, a Belmont Police officer used his standard extinguisher to put it out. Everyone figured that the probable cause was someone who was careless in disposing of their cigarettes.
Shrinkage Aug. 8 – At a quarter to 1 p.m., a person came into the Belmont Center fire house desperately seeking firefighters help remove a ring that got painfully stuck on their finger. It took about a minute to get the jewelry off the digit.
Washing day in a haze Aug. 9 – At half past noon, Engine 2 took off to a Common Street multifamily after the fire alarms in the basement began sounding. Turns out an overheated washing machine motor created a light haze and that electrical smell in the basement. The washer was "red tagged" which means the appliance can not to be used until it was checked by a qualified service technician.