Oct. 14 – At 8:20 a.m., fire crews were sent to a familiar location, McLean Hospital, for a smoke detector going off. The smoke was in the first-floor dining hall. The cause: burnt toast.
Oct. 15 – A South Collage Road resident called the fire department just after 5 a.m. for a fire outside his house. Turned out to be a mulch fire.
Oct. 15 – At half past 4 p.m., fire personnel were sent to Cross Street after a resident called to say they left the gas range top knobs slightly "on." Crews discovered a slight odor of natural gas but no CO reading on their detectors. The windows were popped opened and the odor was gone.
Oct. 18 – At 20 minutes 'til 7 p.m., concerned residents along Waverley Street called firefighters because of smoke in the area. Turned out to be nothing but a last chance barbecue.
Oct. 19 – At a quarter 'til 8 a.m., firefighters were sent to McLean Hospital for a smoke detector that was activated. Stop me if you've heard this: the Engine 1 crew found the smoke coming from ... burnt toast in the toaster.