Working man's issue Sept 30 – At 10 minutes to 10 a.m., the entire company – both engines, ladder and rescue units – was dispatched to the Bowditch building at McLean Hospital for a fire alarm having gone off. The Engine 1 crew reported that the smoke detector in the machine
shop had gone off due to the actions of a workman. McLean's security reset the alarm.
A drop of smoke too much Sept. 30 – At a quarter 'til noon, Engine 1, Engine 2 and the Ladder truck was sent to a multi-family building at Waverley Oaks for a fire alarm. Turns out that the hallway smoke detector was activated by someone who was cooking in a first-floor apartment.
Too many, too long Oct. 1 – A few minutes after half past 10 a.m., the entire company was sent a few blocks from Fire Headquarters to a restaurant on Trapelo Road for a reported cooking fire. Turns out one of the cooks left several pizzas unattended in the oven where they quickly were overcooked causing a significant
smoke condition. The building was ventilated and the Board of Health was summoned to the
Check it out Oct. 4 – Just before 6 p.m., Engine 1 was sent to a single-family on Hastings Road after the alarm company informed the Fire Department that the property
owner was out of state and would like the department to enter his home to
perform a check. Belmont Police arrived on scene and made entry into the home. The Engine 1 crew reported a second-floor hallway smoke detector going off but there was no smoke or fire.
Left in a fog Oct. 5 – About a quarter past 10 a.m., Belmont's Engine 1 took off to Huron Avenue in Cambridge to help out the local fire department at an incident at the VFW building across from the Tip O'Neill Golf Course. Turns out that the smoke detector was set off by a fog machine at the main dance floor.