Belmont Fire Log: Watched Pots Don't Start Fires

Emergencies and calls responded by the Belmont Fire Department.

Damp it!

Dec. 16 – Just before 3:30 p.m., Engine 2 was sent to a Chilton Street residency that was filling with smoke. Turns out that you shouldn't start a fire in the fireplace until you first open the damper. 

No news is good news

Dec. 16 – Just after 9 p.m., Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were dispatched to the Belmont Media Center on Lexington Street after the dispatch center received an electronic alarm from the center. Turns out it was a false alarm as it was determined that the system malfunctioned. 

Steam heat

Dec. 17 – Right at 9:30 a.m., all Belmont companies raced to the intersection of Davis and Trapelo after a passerby called 9-1-1 saying they saw a sudden cloud of "smoke" coming from a local business. Turns out what was rising from the roof of Franette's Dry Cleaners was actually steam from the cleaning process. 

A watched pot never boils ... or starts a fire

Dec. 18 – At 10 'til 9 p.m., Engine 1 was sent to the town's tallest residential building to prevent a disaster in the making: crew members forced open an apartment's front door after the resident locked herself out, having left a meal cooking in the oven. Golden rule of fire safety: never leave food cooking unattended.

When ovens attack

Dec. 22 – At 11 past 10 a.m., the entire Belmont Fire Department was sent to a fire in a Locust Street two-family. Turns out the oven burst into flames. Fast action kept the fire from spreading. The offending kitchen utillity was shut down. 


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »