.

Fire Log: Boilers Are Malfunctioning Across Town

Incidents and emergencies handled by the Belmont Fire Department.

Boiler malfunction, part 1

June 27 – At 6:27 a.m., fire units were dispatched to a Pleasant Street house for a malfunctioning boiler with the fire confined. Companies shut down the burner and red-tagged it. Ladder 1 used a smoke ejector to clear the smoke from the basement.

Fire under the 'hood

June 28 – At 7:49 a.m., Engine 1, Ladder 1 and a command car responded to Waverley Oaks Apartments on Mill Street for a reported vehicle fire. On investigation, they discovered a burning odor under the hood in what appeared to be an overheated starter motor. Vehicle owner arranged for a tow prior to fire companies arriving.

Boiler malfunction, part 2

June 28 – At 8:28 p.m., Engine 2, Engine 1, Ladder 1, Rescue 1 and a command car responded to Clifton Street for a report of smoke in the basement and alarm sounding. On arrival, Engine 2 and Ladder 1 investigated and found a slight haze in the basement with a carbon monoxide detector sounding an alarm. The dwelling was metered and readings of 30-50 part-per-million where registered. Highest readings were recorded in the basement. The oil-fired hot water heater and boiler were shut down and dwelling ventilated. When readings were within normal range the hot water heater was operated and the CO levels began to rise. The system was shut down and red tagged. Dwelling was ventilated a second time. No readings were registered after the ventilation. 

Gas attack, part 1

June 29 – At 6:33 a.m., Engine 1 and a command car responded to the area of bridge in Waverley Square to investigate a reported odor of natural gas. On arrival, companies found a slight odor and notified National Grid.

Boiler malfunction, part 3

June 29 – At 7:23 a.m., Engine 1, Engine 2, Ladder 1, and a command car were dispatched to a Brighton Street house to investigate the heavy smoke from the chimney. The incident was determined to be a boiler malfunction, fire confined. The unit was red tagged for service.

Gas attack, part 2

June 29 – At 9:10 a.m., units were dispatched to a Leonard Street business location for what was determined to be a gas leak. National Grid was notified. 

Even motors are overheating

June 30 – At 12:20 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to a elementary school on Waterhouse Road. Ladder 1 found smoke on the second floor on the delta side hallway. Companies continued to investigate and found an overheated motor in the gym. The power was turned off.

Bonnie Friedman July 06, 2011 at 05:25 PM
Someone must be on vacation over at Patch. Not up to your usual humor, missing the little details you usually add, and even has a grammatical mistake: "to a elementary school on Waterhouse Road" Should have been "an elementary" and surprised you didn't mention the school's name, Winn Brook.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »