Unsafe end-of-the-school-year celebration
June 19 – At 6:35 p.m., Engine 1 and a command car were dispatched to a Belmont Street resident for a citizen's complaint. It appeared that a student decided to celebrate the end of the school year by burning his book binder outside his house. While the fire was out when they arrived, firefighters told both the student and his mother about town bylaws against this sort of festivities and just the dangers of this action.
Gas on the street
June 21 – At 11:37 a.m., firefighters were dispatched for an odor of natural gas at a location on Trapelo Road. Responding units did detect a "sight odor in the area" and determined that there was a gas leak. The gas company was notified.
Not romantic at all
June 22 – At 8:54 p.m., fire personnel were dispatched for a stalled elevator with occupants trapped inside at a Hill Road building. The arriving companies shut down the elevator and used the 'rabbit' tool to "pop" the elevator door and remove the occupant. An elevator technician arrived on scene and the elevator was placed off-line.
Three houses of worship were visited by the Belmont Fire Department in the past week:
• June 22 – At 9:24 p.m., fire units were sent to a Lexington Street church for a malfunctioning boiler.
June 24 – At 7:27 p.m., fire equipment were dispatched to a Belmont Street church that was determined to be a smoke detector activation due to malfunction.
• June 25 – At 2:09 p.m., fire personnel were dispatched a Frontage Road temple for what turned out to be unintentional activation of the fire alarm system.