June 18 – At 7:10 p.m. Engine 2 and 1, Ladder 1, Rescue 1 and a command car responded to Hillcrest Road for a reported outside fire burning against a building. On arrival Engine 2 investigated and found an extinguished fire outside, a few feet from a detached garage. The fire apparently started where building materials, wood, and an empty paint can was located. A portable basketball net also was damaged. Firefighters determined that fire appeared accidental and most likely its cause was spontaneous combustion caused from empty paint can and being in close proximity of building materials. Owner was not at home but was reached by phone and was informed of the situation.
Down to the ground
June 20 – At 9:13 p.m., fire crews were sent to Fairview Avenue for a down power line. The Belmont Municipal Light Department was notified and they responded.
How hot was it on the first full day of summer. Hot enough to pop the tops off of fire alarms. Three times in the afternoon of June 21 – when temperatures hit 98 degrees – Belmont Fire was sent to three separate homes, one on South Cottage Road and two on Summit Road, for fire detectors which went off after attic temperatures reached 135 degrees, which usually indicates some sort of blaze. They were removed.