Police Log: Percocet, Please

Incidents handled by the Belmont Police Department. Just because you're mentioned in this column doesn't mean you've been convicted of anything.

Unhealthy meal

Thanksgiving – A quiet day for police other than the annual football game but they did have to assist fire rescue with three medical emergency calls during or just after the Thanksgiving meal. 

The tryptophan appears to have kicked in just in time.

Nov. 23 – A gentleman returning to Belmont from Thanksgiving celebrations on the 73 bus line encountered two fellow passengers who were in a distinctly non-festive mood with the other. In fact, the threats of violence each made on the other caused the gentleman to call and warn police of a possible confrontation after the pair departed the bus at the end of the line at Lexington and Church. But a sweep of the area by officers didn't uncover the two possible combatants. 

Sounds like a case taught by Prof. Kingfield at HLS

Nov. 23 – A Trowbridge Street man who was doing a friend a favor was threatened with a beating via text message. The Belmont man had arranged to use the services of a man who was known by a mutual friend. But since the man never showed up to render the service, the Belmont man terminated the verbal agreement and kept an agreed to deposit. That action caused the man to IM the resident with a detailed action plan in which he and his friends would be coming to his street and retrieving the deposit using a specific physical act – i.e., a beating. The Belmont man did not want to pursuit the threat criminally; rather he just wanted police to have a head's up on the incident as the case proceeds in civil court. As always: no good deed goes unpunished. 

Scarry prescription 

Nov. 23 – A man in his late 20s, about 150 pounds wandered into the Shaw's on Trapelo around 5:30 p.m. and headed to the pharmacy. The staff thought something was amiss as the sun had already gone down and it was fairly mild day but the 20-something had his windbreaker pulled up so it covered his face and he was wearing sunglasses.

"Give me the Percocet (c)," he said to a pharmacist, who noticed a strong odor of alcohol on his breath.

When told the strong painkiller – it's acetaminophen and oxycodone – was not kept at the store, he asked again, "Give me the Percocet."

After being told a second time that the drug was not there, he turned and left. Police quickly called other pharmacies in town to see if the man had come by and to be on the lookout.

We all do it

Nov. 24 – A cautionary tale as I do this all the time. A woman was enjoying a beverage at the Belmont Center Starbucks around 9 a.m. when she left her spot from just a second. When she got back, her cell phone that was left at the table was gone, just like that.


Nov. 25 – A Payson Road woman had a room that she wanted to sublet and so rented the space to a nice German gentleman from Sept. 1 to Nov. 1. But he informed her that he was required to return to the fatherland due to an emergency and left before completing the rental term. What the woman did not know was that she would hear from him again. Der Mann called the Belmont resident on Nov. 20 to say that he was back in Boston and could he come by to retrieve something he left in the room. He arrived at 10:30 p.m. and asked the woman if he could quickly use the bathroom. After a short period, the man said he got what he needed and left. But what he left with was two gold pieces of jewelry worth $4,000 and $6,000 along with a jade necklace valued at $70,000. Unfortunately, the resident never obtained any personal information about the German but said she would call police when she did.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »