The past week was dominated as residents fled to the sought out indoor locations with air conditioning and anything cold they could get their hands on. It got so hot that the electrical company proclaimed a weeklong energy alert.
But despite the constant oven-like temperatures, there appeared to be no heat-related emergency ambulance calls.
The effort of parents to resuscitate the freshmen sports programs that were dropped after the failure of the Proposition 2 1/2 override appear to be paying off as the School Committee will hold a meeting this coming Monday to discuss the matter. One stumbling block: using money brought klll by fundraising for salaries.
The State's Ethics Commission filed a number of violations of the Commonwealth's conflict of interest law against a former employee of the Council on Aging who assigned herself as caregiver of an elderly Oliver Road resident and allegedly took financial advantage of her position. Criminal complaints could be coming down the road.
The Senior Babe Ruth team meandered around the .500 mark despite losing several members to vacations.
In spite of the heat alert, the Light Department introduced a new incentive program to energy savers. And there is a new assistant town clerk.
The Belmont preteen struck by a vehicle in Maine – whose name has yet to be released by the State Police in Maine – was doing better with only a concussion.
Patch visited Paul Saidnawey's garden as part of its series on local patches of dirt and followers. A new childcare business on Trapelo Road catering to the growing Chinese population.
It was fun to have a national television series set up shop in Belmont even if they came to just repair a doorbell.