Honored in US News & World Report as one of the top 100 High Schools in the United States, Belmont High School has a tradition of educational excellence, providing students with the opportunity of pursuing higher education to their highest potential.
The administration, staff and teachers lead students to be responsible citizens, critical thinkers and problem solvers, researchers and effective communicators. Students are expected to meet and exceed specific goals each year. Freshmen are required to participate in History Day while seniors are required to write a senior English thesis.
The High School has a strong tradition in the arts with most students participating in choral, instrumental, theater or studio arts. Students are able to participate in interscholastic athletics with some reaching the highest level.
Belmont High students excel in state assessment tests, as 58 percent of tenth graders scored 'Advanced' and 'Above Proficient' in English compared to 16 percent statewide and 82 percent in Math compared to 23 percent statewide. Students also scored nearly 275 points higher in the combined SAT test than students nationwide.
The work has resulted in a nearly 100 percent graduation rate where 70 percent of graduates are accepted to four-year private colleges while 23 percent go to four-year private colleges. The class of 2009 sent 15 graduates to Ivy League schools, three to MIT, four to BYU and McGill, Oxford and many leading colleges across the country.
- Fax: 617-993-5909
- Hours: Main office hours: Mon - Fri, 7:30am - 3:30pm; Sat, Sun, closed. School hours: Mon - Fri, 7:35am - 2pm; Sat, Sun, closed
- Handicap Accessible: There are ramps providing access and elevators for upper floors. There are also handicap parking spots.
- Number of students: 1,119
- Male-to-female ratio: 50-50
- Public/Private: Public
- Financial aid: No
- Religious affiliation: nonsectarian
- Acceptance rate (%): 100
- Graduation rate (%): 99
- Accreditation/licenses: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 15.3-1
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- Number of faculty: 73
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Belmont High School is heavily involved in the community through community service, opening its doors to events while presenting arts and sports events to the residents.
- What makes this community special?: The success of Belmont High School and its students bring a great sense of pride to the town as well as attracting new residents who believe in and will promote education in the future.
- Grade levels: 9-12
- Boarding: No
- Special education: Yes
- Uniforms: No
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Advanced placement courses: One-third of students take AP courses, including English, Studio Art, French, Latin, Spanish, Calculus, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science, Psychology, Neuroanatomy, American History, European History and Economics.
- Extracurricular activities available: Includes sports clubs such as crew, frisbee and rugby, student government, media (newspaper and magazines), performing arts including musical theater, play, orchestras, bands and instrumental groups.
- Student clubs: Nearly 60 clubs including A Capperlla groups, Dance, Entrepreneur Club, Gay-Straight Alliance, Jazz Club, Knitting Club, Mock Trail, Poetry Slam Club, Stage Band, Yearbook.
- Sports teams: Students compete in 28 sports including football, cross country, field hockey, golf, soccer, swimming, volleyball, basketball, ice hockey, skiing, indoor track, wrestling, baseball, lacrosse, softball, spring track, tennis and cheerleading.